Oct 9, 2014

Getting Better at RiverLedge

Pictured from left to right are: family friend Erleine Brown,
Pam Bisig (Boyle’s Sister), Paula Boyle, and Jody Streeter (Boyle’s Sister).

Sounds of laughter fill the hallway. It’s a card game between friends and family members and it is anything but serious. This get together involves pizza and HoHo cake and razzing each other’s card play.  One might think such festivities would be a little out of place at the Newell wing of the RiverLedge Health Care & Rehabilitation Center, but that’s probably only if you’ve never visited.



The story begins like this, after a series of falls, Paula Boyle of DePeyster was faced with surgery, a surgery that would put her off her feet and out of commission for several weeks. Her physician’s suggestion? Plan to be admitted to a rehabilitation facility following the procedure.

“I was terrified,” Boyle admitted. “Who would take care of my husband? I had never even visited a rehabilitation center. I really had a bad attitude about the whole thing.”

Despite her worries, Boyle underwent surgery at the end of August and made plans to be admitted to RiverLedge Health Care and Rehabilitation Center upon discharge from the hospital. A family friend, Jean Pray, promised to check in on Boyle’s husband every day and Boyle’s family promised to visit her at RiverLedge. Everyone kept their word.

“The admission process went very smoothly,” Boyle said. “Everyone really worked hard to put me at ease right away. I have to admit I was shocked and amazed. Everyone was professional and treated me and my family with kindness and respect.”

For four weeks Boyle was a resident at RiverLedge, getting physical and occupational therapy, receiving assistance with her personal care, dining, and participating in activities held on campus. Her family and friends visited her regularly and Boyle settled in.

“The therapy team at RiverLedge is great,” Boyle said. “It is work, don’t get me wrong, but they make it fun.” She chuckles as she gives a run-down demonstration of all of the exercises she has performed. “The activities are wonderful and the food is great too,” she adds. “The staff is really what makes the difference though. It doesn’t matter if your problem is big or small. They really care and want to help.”

Boyle has since returned home to DePeyster and is receiving home care services from Northern Lights Home Care. She’s doing well and is glad to be home with her husband, Tim, but misses all of the new friends she made while living at RiverLedge. After completing her rehabilitation, Boyle plans to volunteer her time at RiverLedge.

“I really enjoyed the camaraderie while I was at RiverLedge and I’d like to give back if I can,” Boyle said. “I tell people, ‘if I can’t be home, I’d rather be at RiverLedge.’ It’s peace of mind knowing they are there if I need them again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment