Sep 4, 2019

Assisted Living Makes Life a Whole New Ballgame


CANTON – Each night during the course of the Major League Baseball season, Hilda Smith sits in her recliner and watches her beloved New York Yankees on television.

That routine has gone on for years, first from her home in Hannawa Falls and then from apartments in Madrid and Canton. Today, she watches the games from the comfort of her room in the Assisted Living wing at United Helpers Rehabilitation and Senior Care.

Hilda Smith enjoys the game.
While Ms. Smith is largely independent, there were a couple of areas of her life, where she could use a little bit of help. Enter United Helpers. 

“I’m 93 years old and I’ve reached the age where I wanted someone to clean my apartment for me. I like to keep things tidy. I’m kind of fussy like that,” she said.

Last year Ms. Smith gave up her driver’s license, and while she says her son was more than happy to help her out and take her shopping or to appointments, she hated feeling like she was a burden on him or other members of her family.

Ms. Smith also said she really enjoys having someone cook for her.

“If it wasn’t for the microwave and TV dinners, I wouldn’t have survived,” she said, explaining that since she’s moved to Assisted Living, where breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even nutritious snacks are served throughout the day, her diet had improved dramatically.

Ms. Smith is also utilizing another service available to her, outpatient physical therapy, for pain and stiffness in her neck, a result, she jokes comes from “watching too many ballgames.”

“If I was still in my apartment I would have needed a driver to take me to and from my therapy appointments. It would have been a giant inconvenience,” she said. “In fact, I don’t think I would even be doing therapy, if it wasn’t here.”

Now instead of having to rely on a driver to get her to and from therapy appointments, Ms. Smith simply takes a ride on the elevator and walks down the hall. “The convenience of everything is amazing,” she said. “This is a great place, I couldn’t ask for anything more. I’m glad I made this choice.”

For more information on Assisted Living or any of United Helpers other senior living options contact our Navigator at (315) 714-3117. 

You may also like United Helpers on Facebook or visit www.unitedhelpers.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment