Jun 22, 2017

United Helpers Aids in WWII Vet’s Recovery from Broken Hip

Jack Regan, 91, of Canton credits physical therapy at Maplewood Health Care & Rehabilitation Center for helping him regain his independence after breaking his hip earlier this year. Looking on is Physical Therapy Assistant Jena Cryderman.
































CANTON - A broken hip is a devastating injury for anyone, but when you're 91 years old, such an injury

usually means the end of your independence. 

Jack Regan, of Canton suffered a broken hip earlier this year following a fall, not on the ice, but inside his own home.

“All winter long I walked slowly like a duck with little steps so I wouldn’t fall,” he said. “Then one day, I just stood up a little too fast, got light headed and went down.”

While Mr. Regan initially declined treatment following the fall, he said the pain quickly became too much to bear. When the time came to be released from the hospital, Mr. Regan said he knew exactly where he wanted to go.

“I’ve heard a lot of good comments about Maplewood and United Helpers in general,” he said, adding his stay at Maplewood was just over four weeks.

Initially upon his arrival, Mr. Regan admitted he wasn’t feeling the best.

“I was raised to never give up and I brought my children up that way too,” he said. “However, after breaking my hip I discovered I don’t do well with pain. Then one of my girls reminded me about what I taught them growing up, and I said, ‘You did listen.’”

After graduating from a wheelchair to a walker, Mr. Regan was allowed to return home. After several weeks of twice weekly outpatient therapy Mr. Regan has even began walking with the use of the cane.

“Thanks to this lady and the other people here I’ve gone from not being able to stand to walking with a cane,” he said referring to Physical Therapy Assistant Jena Cryderman. “Canton is very fortunate to have a place like Maplewood. A lot of communities don’t have a facility like this.”

While Mr. Regan is quick to credit Maplewood for his success, Ms. Cryderman said no physical therapy patient can succeed without doing their own part.

“Eighty percent of their success is up to them,” she said. “He certainly does what he has to do and puts in the work at home.”


For more information on United Helpers Therapy Services contact Maplewood in Canton at (315) 386-4541 or RiverLedge in Ogdensburg at (315) 393-0730. Visit us online at www.unitedhelpers.org or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/unitedhelpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment