Nov 12, 2015

What People Are Saying About Us

Earlier this week we received a comment card with the following message* from a therapy patient at Maplewood.

"I was in a serious motorcycle accident on Sept. 5 and after spending a week in the hospital was fortunate enough to end up at your Maplewood facility in Canton. For the first few weeks I suffered all the indignities: being hoyered onto a portable commode, bedpans and being unable to wash myself or get dressed. I was/am a very active, independent person and these changes, as well as the realization that this condition would not go away quickly and I wouldn't be seeing home for quite some time made me miserable, to put it mildly.
What saved me were your facility and most importantly the superb staff at every level in all departments, nearly without exception. The exceptions were simply a few personnel who were acceptable, but not exceptional. The greatest accolade I could give is that a big part of me actually regretted leaving. I still miss them and our interactions. I maintain contact with the PT/OT personnel and all the aids.
The caring for all aspects of my condition, both physical and emotional began immediately and continued, actually increased throughout my entire six week stay. I was never once made to feel uncomfortable in the least. As a result we all enjoyed each other's company immensely, and we got to know each other quite well. The night before I left I sent out for pizza and ribs for the evening shift. It was both a joyful and sad occasion. I'll forever cherish the card that all the staff gave to me at that time.
Of course the PT/OT staff played a huge role in my recovery, including the emotional and mental aspects of it.We had a ball. It was a thoroughly professional approach to a very serious and complex rehab that was executed in a thoroughly professional way. I was urged to voice my goals (e.g. wanting to be able to get on and off a real toilet in a real bathroom) and my exercised were tailored to help me reach that goal among others. The work was hard and at times uncomfortable, but I looked forward each day to the time spent with them all, as well as the other residents there. We learned about each other's families, commiserated about current events in each others lives, laughed, joked, encouraged each other and succeeded. As a result I want to do my challenging outpatient PT/OT at Maplewood once I'm ready for it.
My injuries included some complicated fractures of the wrist and ankles. My fullest recovery is of extreme importance to me. My choosing Maplewood art this critical juncture is further evidence of the trust I place in the professional capability of the PT/OT staff there.
Your people at the Maplewood facility are great - like extended family, many of them.
Of course, the facility itself was excellent. I wouldn't wish what happened to me on my worst enemy, but under the circumstances I was fortunate to have been able to get into Maplewood. The semi-private room was perfect. It gave me enough privacy, while still having activity nearby. It truly became "my room." the "great room" lounge was a great place to socialize with other residents, visitors, staff or to just hang out reading. We had some memorable times in that area! I thought the food service was also excellent. Of course, it's institutional cooking, but the quality and variety were excellent. Heck, I was even able to get liver, bacon and onions one evening! The level of cleanliness and the attention to detail was also very good. Once again, the housekeeping staff was personable, friendly and much fun to get to know.
I could go on and on.. Thank you for a wonderful experience in the midst of otherwise terrible circumstances. Well done!"

*Editors note: The comments have been edited for clarification.

No comments:

Post a Comment