Jun 1, 2018

Waddington Man Pleased by Service Received at Both RiverLedge and Maplewood

Allen McIntosh

OGDENSBURG – While rehabilitation is often associated with surgery on one’s legs, arms or hips, it can also be used to help make someone stronger and able to return home following any number of medical procedures. 
 Allen McIntosh, of Waddington, recently had an appendectomy after falling ill at home.
Following his discharge from the hospital, Mr. McIntosh spent roughly two weeks at United Helpers’ RiverLedge Health Care & Rehabilitation Center in Ogdensburg.
“I knew something was wrong so I went to the hospital,” he said. “My doctor told me he does five of those surgeries (appendectomies) every day, and mine was one of the worst he’s ever seen.”
While an appendectomy will take anyone off their feet for a few days, at the age of 92, the recovery period is a bit longer. Mr. McIntosh said he was unable to get a bed at Maplewood Health Care & Rehabilitation Center, where he has previously spent 19 days following a stroke, but given the success he found there, he knew he wanted to receive his therapy at a United Helpers facility.
“I can now say I’ve been to both places and they were each great,” he said. “I enjoyed my experiences at both.”
In addition to receiving physical and occupational therapy at both locations, Mr. McIntosh has also worked with Respiratory Therapist Matthew King.
A short time prior to his appendectomy, he noticed he was having difficulty breathing and was placed on oxygen by his primary care provider.
Although he is unsure if he’ll be able to stop using oxygen, Mr. McIntosh said his time with Mr. King has made a difference.
“I’m what they call a shallow breather,” Mr. McIntosh said. “Mr. King has taught me a little bit about breathing better and I’ve noticed a difference. I might not ever discontinue oxygen, but I can tell that what they’ve been doing is working.”
For more information on therapy services at RiverLedge Health Care & Rehabilitation Center in Ogdensburg, contact (315) 393-0730. For information on therapy services at Maplewood, contact (315) 386-4541.  You may also like United Helpers on Facebook or visit www.unitedhelpers.org.

Respiratory Therapist Matthew King, Allen McIntosh and Physical Therapist Trent Worden


No comments:

Post a Comment