Jan 30, 2018

Retired Nurse Pleased With Care At United Helpers Maplewood Campus


CANTON – As a retired nurse and someone who spent most of her adult life working in health care, RoseMary Crupi, of Canton knows a thing or two about quality health care, and she said that’s exactly what she received at Maplewood Health Care & Rehabilitation Center. 
RoseMary Crupi

In 2016 Ms. Crupi had her right knee replaced. She spent two weeks in the rehab unit and continued with outpatient physical therapy for “several months.”

After recovering fully from that surgery, she then had, in 2017, her right hip replaced spending five more weeks in the rehab unit.

“If someone asked me for an opinion, I would say, “go there,’” she said. “They were not only competent, but they were kind and caring. They impressed me with their kindness and empathy. A lot of people who work in health care don’t always do that.”

Admittedly Ms. Crupi can get emotional at times, but she said through her whole time at Maplewood, she was never made to feel embarrassed or like she was in the wrong.

“I’m a bit of a wuss but whenever I would cry from the pain someone would be right there,” she said, mentioning specifically physical therapy assistants Jenna Cryderman and Stacie Jessmer, as well as physical therapists Brittany Wieszczyk and Elizabeth Foster.

Ms. Crupi’s second stay at Maplewood included some medical complications, which she said weren’t anyone’s fault.

“You know your own body better than anyone and when I told them something wasn’t right, they listened,” she said, surmising that may not always be the case elsewhere.
“When a patient says this is not normal and there is something wrong, people need to listen and they did,” she said.

In addition to being pleased with the therapy staff, Ms. Crupi said the nursing care she received during her two stays was also impressive.

“I met some really terrific aides,” she said. “There was one young woman, “Trish” (Patricia Kerr) who would literally give you the shirt off your back. What she does for patients is amazing.”

Ms. Crupi then talked about the Nancy Delorme, a nurse who worked day shifts on the rehab unit.

“On my discharge day I wasn’t able to walk as well as I would have liked and when the ambulette came to pick me up they only brought one guy,” she recalled, realizing she was going to need the assistance of two people to get out of the vehicle and into her home.

“I didn’t think I was going to be able to go home and I started to cry,” she said. “Nancy very calmly told me, ‘Hold on, I’ll take care of this.’ She then went and grabbed Curtis (Legault). He’s one of the maintenance guys now, but he used to be a CNA. They made sure I was able to go home that day and he made sure I was able to get settled at home.”

Looking back at her own career, Ms. Crupi said the staff at Maplewood acted just as she would have wanted her own employees too.

“I used to train LPNs and I always taught them to act as if the person in that bed was their own mother or father,” she said. “The staff there cares about you as a person and not just a room number and that matters.”

For more information on therapy services at Maplewood, contact (315) 386-451. For therapy services at RiverLedge Health Care & Rehabilitation Center in Ogdensburg, contact (315) 393-0730. You may also like United Helpers on Facebook or visit www.unitedhelpers.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment