Nov 2, 2016

Ogdensburg Man "Amazed" With the Care He Received at United Helpers

Mike Ripa works with Donna Donnelly, PTA.

OGDENSBURG - Earlier this summer Michael Ripa, of Ogdensburg had hip replacement surgery. While he didn't really know what to expect, one of the things that surprised him most was his time spent at the RiverLedge Health Care & Rehabilitation Center.

"I was totally amazed with the care I received," he said. "I didn't really want to come here, but they have treated me tremendously and I have no complaints."

Following a one week stay at RiverLedge this past August, Mr. Ripa has been receiving outpatient therapy twice a week.

"It was tough at first, but little by little it's getting better," he said. "I've had improvements every time I come."

Bailey Stickney, a physical therapy assistant who worked with Mr. Ripa during his inpatient stay, said Mr. Ripa's attitude and willingness to work helped him progress quickly.

"Mr. Ripa had the perfect attitude to be successful with his rehabilitation at RiverLedge. He never gave up and was willing to go the distance each and every therapy session," she said. "He didn't let his previous injury hinder his success and looked at everything as a milestone, even the smallest victory."

While Mr. Ripa only stayed on campus for a week, Ms. Stickney said more often than not someone who has hip replacement surgery is going to be in inpatient therapy for roughly two weeks.


"Normally, you're looking at a 2 week stay for a total hip replacement, but he was very motivated and it allowed him to be in and out in a week," she said, adding, "That isn't very common."

Mr. Ripa said one of the things he appreciated the most was the flexibility afforded to him by the staff.

"I didn't work around them. They worked around me," he said, noting he was even able to sign out to go to lunch with a friend of grab ice cream with his wife.

"I've had therapy at other places and it's not like this.On a scale of 1 to 10 this place is a 12," he said. "If you need any kind of therapy this is the place to come. I had other options, but I'm glad I chose this one." 

No comments:

Post a Comment